Children learn and grow in stages, some children either accelerate compared to their peers, or are growing at a slower pace than normal, therefore it is hard to pinpoint the exact ages and stages of development. However, Tring Martial Arts Academy instructors are trained in the various stages and levels of child development and recognise through our experience since 2005 that child growth and development can be categorizes into four main age groups.
The four age groups are:
- 3 & 4 year olds
- 5 & 6 year olds
- 7 to 9 year olds
- 10 to 14 year olds
Within each age group, children show growth and development in four fundamental categories:
Within each category, children show distinct characteristics that define their stage of development. That’s where Tring Martial Arts Instructors can help. We can help a child to foster proper growth and development because we understand what to expect, and what-not to expect in each particular category, and in turn helping them to learn and grow in a more age-appropriate manner.
We use various skills, games, instruction and learning methodologies honed over more than a decade of martial arts instruction to foster a greater sense of achievement within each child, empowering them with the right tools for growth, rewarding them for their efforts and allowing parents and carers to understand that they are continuing to learn despite their individual development needs.
7 to 9 Years Old Children
They love to interact with others and enjoy the spotlight. However, they can get frustrated when things don’t go their way.
OUR EXPECTATIONS – we expect that this age group at some points during our classes will:
- They don’t like when something is unfair and will be determined to point it out and be heard
- They tend to revert to not applying their best if they are not being challenged properly
OUR GOALS in each class are that the children should:
- Address problems and challenges properly without interfering on the overall flow of the class
- Strive without the constant need for feedback from the instructors
10 to 14 Years Old Children
They care about what their peers think, they also understand that character plays an important role in who they are as a person.
OUR EXPECTATIONS – we expect that this age group at some points during our class will:
- Initially hold back if they are uncomfortable as a defence mechanism
- Prefer to work with their friends, which can lead to immaturity on tasks that are too simple or over-challenging
OUR GOALS in each class are that children should:
- Have VISION by seeing the bigger picture in life by applying their skills into everything they do.
- Show maturity when working with their peers despite the task at hand
- Take praise and recognition as a signal they are on the right path
Please see our other Blog articles where we discuss the Physical, Social, Intellectual and Emotional Education of Children at Tring Martial Arts.The Instructors at Tring Martial Arts are experts in child development and we recognise that some children will perform above or below the expectations of their age group, and since 2005 we have trained ourselves and our staff to educate everyone considering their emotional, physical, intellectual and social needs. Contact us today on 01442 795001 or see our website
Strive without the constant need for feedback from the instructors