In this edition of TMA Role Models we prove that age is no boundary to entering Martial Arts training by getting to know Jim Lawler who is officially our oldest student training in Krav Maga. Whilst we do have older students training in Tai Chi or Qigong, Jim will most likely become our oldest black belt and biggest role model to every person who thinks, “I am too old for Martial Arts or Its only for Kids”!
NAME James (Jim) Fintain Lawler AGE 70 GRADE / BELT Yellow Approx. Date you Joined September 2018
1. How did you learn about Tring Martial Arts?
I was interested in Krav Maga and looked up local providers and TMA got the best reviews.
2. Why did you choose to join Tring Martial Arts Academy?
I tried martial arts many years ago but the environment of that club was not healthy. I chose TMA because it seemed a great environment and facility in which to learn.
3. How does your training help with your school / work?
The training has helped my overall health and energy. I have had Type 2 Diabetes for 20 years so I need to keep myself fit and healthy. As I get older, I don’t wish to feel vulnerable and Krav Maga also helps with this objective.
4. How do you maintain your school/work/life balance, has there ever been a time when school or work was threatening to get in the way of training and what was your thought process behind your decision to keep training? What was the outcome?
All my life I have allowed business to get in the way of my health. I have lived in Canada, USA & China, and now It is time to take care of my health, so I now try to prioritise my training over everything else that I do.
5. Did you ever feel like quitting training? (If so, what or who stopped you)
Yes, it is not unusual to want to skip training but I know the most important thing is to keep to the training routine. Missing one training session makes it harder the next time, so I try, never to miss a session.
6. Can you tell me 5 areas where training in the martial arts at TMA has improved your life?
a. Life Skills
One of the side benefits of the training includes focussing your mind so that you can learn new things. It also reminds you to have respect for all people.
Krav Maga helps me control my mind which means I have a more positive outlook on life in general.
c. Health / Fitness
As previously mentioned Krav Maga has helped my overall fitness and energy levels and has improved the control of my Type 2 Diabetes.
d. School / Work Life
As previously mentioned, I feel less vulnerable when moving about on my business. This to me is very important in the current environment.
e. Home Life
I am sure that my wife Linda looks forward to my training sessions as she can then get some much-needed peace and quiet. Lol.